The name Montaione comes probably from one of the last Longobard duke. The history of Montaione is strictly connected to the near Firenze. Monatione ha an interesting tradition of glass production, very important in the XV century. In a notice of Granducato di Toscana, it was requested for glass workers to come from Montaione. Today the main activity in Montaione is tourism, thanks to many “agriturismo” and guset houses located in the countryside. Montaione is also famous for agriculture production: oil, wine, saffron and honey.
The history of Gambassi Terme is strictly connected to the one of the near Montaione (only in 1917 Gambassi attained indipendence from Montaione). Gambassi is famous for its thermae. Its centre is made by a wide public park (once the private court of Villa Sinnai), with pines, locusts, horse chestnuts, holm oaks, cipresses and red beech. The main church is Pieve di Santa Maria Assunta, in Romanesque style, built in the XII century, visited by Sigerico, bishop of Canterbury, during his return trip from Rome. Other churches and interesting buildings are located in the surrounding countryside.